After Surgery

I have struggled to write a follow up to my mastectomy surgery. It has been a very long and stressful couple weeks and I didn’t want my thoughts to come across bitchy. My surgery was long, like 8 hours long, but very successful. The breast surgeon took her time and 22 of my lymph nodes on my left side which is fine by me. The first night in the hospital was fine until I had to use the restroom. After having children I knew that getting out of bed for the first time would be agonizing and I seriously thought of just letting it go in the bed. I should have but called the nurse instead and her and my mother helped me get out of bed. Thank God for pain pills. I was released from the hospital the following day and they next couple days were just a blur. 

The worst part of my surgery was by far the 4 surgical drains that were attached to me. I won’t go into detail but they are awful. Google JP Drains. My plastic surgeon was adimit on keeping all the drains in for a full two weeks so for the last two weeks I carried a bunch of tubing around my stomach and tried not to make any sudden movements. To be honest, drinking wine was my only relief. I was completely over everything and everyone. There were some really dark times in the last couple weeks and I hope they stay in the past. 

My breast surgeon called me days after the surgery and left me the greatest message ever, cancer free. I had prepared myself that I would most likely not have a complete pathological response, it was a 50/50 chance. I cried. And then I cried some more. All of the chemo had worked. 

On Monday, my plastic surgeon removed my drains from both sides. Very painful, don’t listen to anyone that tells you that it isn’t. I still have tape over all the insisions but have been told I was healing nicely. I’ll be honest, I still haven’t looked at my chest much. I try and hide from my husband so that he can’t see the scars. It continues to be an emotional roller coaster that doesn’t seem like it will be ending anytime soon. 

I just wanted to thank everyone who has helped me through these last couple weeks. The meals have been helpful for my family (some of you really know how to cook chicken, very tasty). I am still struggling to get full range of motion in my left arm but will continue to work on it everyday. I will continue to update everyone in the upcoming weeks. I still have a million doctor appointments and have to find out if I’m going to need radiation. 

Tomorrow I will practice driving. Pray for me. 
Thank you. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s