The Arrival of Maggie Quinn

Introducing Maggie Quinn, born November 22nd, 2010 at 10:27am.  She weighed 6lbs 15oz and measured 19.5 inches long.  Words cannot describe her and the feeling I had when she finally came into this world.

Sleeping Beauty

The experience of child-birth is not what I expected at all.  I think I expected more of what you see on television and in the movies, even though my friends who have had children describe the opposite.  We went in on Sunday evening to be induced but after arriving we were told that labor had already started and we were going to be sent home for the night.  Grrrrrrr.  After some phone calls to the family, my husband and I were just going to stay the night at my parents house because they lived close to the hospital.  My husband was happy because he would be able to sleep in a bed rather than the pull out chair contraption the hospital provided (why wouldn’t a hospital provide something a little more comfortable for the “birth coach”).  The nurse came back in the room to inform us that my doctor had called and over-ruled the decision to send me home and that I was to stay and start the cervidil anyway to speed up the labor process.  Everyone was convinced it would be a long labor and that we would not deliver until the next evening. All I could think of was this was going to be the longest 24 hours of my life.

I am not good with needles and hospitals so this experience is already uncomfortable to me to start.  After unsuccessfully trying to get an IV started on either one of my hands, my nurse gave up and let another girl try.  The whole idea of IV’s is gross to me but that is where the drugs come in so I dealt with it the best I could.  My nurse suggested I take an Ambien to help me sleep, bring it on is all I could think of.  I had never had this “magic little pill” but I have talked to a friend after he had taken it and he was acting as though he was drunk as all hell.  A little scary but at this point, I will take just about anything you give me.

Contractions had started around 1am that morning and they do not feel good at all.  They gave me my first dose of pain meds and that seemed to help to start.  After the first dose of meds everything gets a little blurry so I am going off of what my husband tells me.  The contractions continued to get worse and the medication started wearing off, so a second dose was needed.  My husband told me that the pain medicine made me very loopy and I can only imagine what I said during those couple of hours.  The second dose made me sick and I do remember that feeling, not cool.  I have never been very good with drugs of any kind.  After the vomiting was over they had asked if I wanted the epidural at that point. Really?  I had thought I had made it clear that I wanted an epidural as soon as I could get it.

Ahhhhhh, the epidural.  I would just like to thank whoever invented the epidural, they will be getting a thank you card.  Getting the epidural was not painful but I think it would be if I had to watch the procedure.  After the epidural both my husband and I were excited because we were going to lay down and get some sleep before the festivities the next day.  At this point I was only about 5cm dilated and they(doctors and nurses) were not expecting anything to happen anytime soon.  It was about 7am and my husband asked if he needed to call the rest of the family and the nurse said that not to worry about that now, he could wait until I was 7-8cm dilated.  Okay, so we sleep.

Around 8am the nurse comes in and informs us that it is time to have this baby, I was fully dilated.  What the hell, holy crap, this is really happening.  My doctor had picked this induction date because she had a surgery in the morning, a delivery, and a couple other inductions that day so she would be around.  They only thing was, she wasn’t expecting me to deliver until late afternoon or early evening.  The nurse called her and she was in surgery so I just had to wait.  Um, yeah, I’ll just lay here and wait.  All I could feel was tons of pressure and the need to push but I was told not to push.  Great, what an awkward feeling all around.  Finally the nurse told me it was okay to start pushing and shortly after my doctor came in.  I think I only pushed for 40 minutes but it seemed like it was just a couple of minutes.  And then it happened.

I had told my husband a million times that I didn’t want him to look “down there” during the delivery.  For some reason I thought that if he saw all that he would never want to be intimate with me again.  It is just an uncomfortable position and feeling.  Well, when I started pushing that all went out the window.  He saw everything, he tried to get the doctor to let him catch her as she was delivered.  My doctor told sat me up and told me to look down as she was coming out and I couldn’t do it.  I opened my eyes and saw her coming out and freaked out.  Nothing was wrong, I just was so emotional at that time.  I started crying.  She was the most bea utiful little girl ever.  At that moment I knew my life had changed forever.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s